Abundance NC presents PepperFest, Sunday September 19th, 2021 from 3-6 PM! PepperFest is a celebration of the vibrancy and yield of the abundant and nutrient-dense Carolinian-grown PEPPER. We support small and regenerative agriculture and highlight our Foodshed and all who make eating local possible. We buy our peppers at market value from farmers, then deliver them to top chefs and beverage artisans who then create mouth-watering dishes showcasing their own unique talents. We have attendees from all over NC who complete the full circle nature of this event by tasting, judging and enjoying the day of multi-layered connection. We’re excited to be back in person and throwing down at @ The Plant!
We will have live music with Diali Cissokho & Kaira Ba , Imagine Circus performers, an artistic educational and cultural walkthrough, a 21+ lounge, a kid’s zone with activities, vendors, a small farmers’ market and fun for the entire family.We are looking forward to a celebration of our cherished locally grown sweet, hot and smoky NC peppers, a superfood!
Spicy Stats (2019):
- 617 pounds of 74 different varieties of peppers grown by small-scale farmers!
- $4,730.00 spent on peppers and contributed back to farmers and our local economy
- 45 chefs, 60 vendors and 15 beverage makers
- 920 pounds composted and 37,000 compostable dishes
- 3,000+ people present at the event!
FAQ’s about the PEPPER:
Bell peppers are loaded with various vitamins and minerals, in fact they are a superfood and if you really wanted to, you could avoid scurvy by eating peppers and not importing far away oranges and grapefruits!
- Vitamin C. One medium-sized red bell pepper provides 169% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for vitamin C, making it one of the richest dietary sources of this essential nutrient.
- Vitamin B6. Pyridoxine is the most common type of vitamin B6, which is a family of nutrients important for the formation of red blood cells.
- Vitamin K1. A form of vitamin K, also known as phylloquinone, K1 is important for blood clotting and bone health.
- Potassium. This essential mineral may improve heart health.
- Folate. Also known as vitamin B9, folate has a variety of functions in your body. Adequate folate intake is very important during pregnancy.
- Vitamin E. A powerful antioxidant, vitamin E is essential for healthy nerves and muscles. The best dietary sources of this fat-soluble vitamin are oils, nuts, seeds, and vegetables.
- Vitamin A. Red bell peppers are high in pro-vitamin A (beta carotene), which your body converts into vitamin A.
This year, 7 PepperFest chefs will surprise us with their super creative dishes. Abundance NC supplies them with peppers from local NC farmers, supporting our local foodshed.
Throughout the day, you can purchase (cash bar) drinks from Fair Game Beverage Company (% of sales will go to Abundance NC), where they serve all types of beverages from their very own spirits to local micro-breweries, cideries and wineries.
Creativity is on display everywhere at PepperFest. From the scrumptious concoctions dreamed up by our chefs and brewers, to the sweet melodies humming down from the bands onstage, to the complex flavors embedded in the peppers themselves, there’s a lot to make us proud to be from N.C.
Come out and experience it!